The Illinois State Board of Education is now accepting nominations for the 2019-2020 Those Who Excel Awards, which honor people who have made outstanding contributions to public and nonpublic elementary and secondary education. District 97 is currently seeking nominations for the seven award categories, which include:
- Classroom teacher (licensed) - includes preschool, elementary, junior high/middle or high school teachers who spend more than 50 percent of the time instructing students. Also includes reading specialists.
- Educational service personnel (unlicensed) - includes aides, cafeteria workers, custodians, secretaries, bus drivers, crossing guards, etc.
- Early career educator - includes teachers in their second to fifth years of teaching.
- School administrator - includes district superintendents, assistant superintendents, principals, assistant principals, coordinators, directors or others whose responsibilities are more than 50 percent administrative.
- School board member/community volunteer - only one may be nominated per district (i.e., either a board member or community volunteer)
- Student support personnel (licensed) - includes school nurses, psychologists, social workers, guidance counselors, media/librarian/audio visual, or speech/language therapists who spend more than 50 percent of time in the indicated field.
- Team - includes teams of teachers or administrators, civic organizations, parent organizations, school boards, booster clubs, etc.
The district can only submit one entry per category. If there is someone you believe should be considered to represent the district in one of the seven categories, please send a brief blurb (one or two paragraphs) about the individual and why you are nominating him/her to [email protected] by Monday, Feb. 25. Please visit https://www.isbe.net/pages/those-who-excel.aspx for additional information about the awards*.
*You do not need to fill out the form/application found on this page. It is meant to be a source of information about the awards, and will not need to be completed until after we select the district's representative for each category.