Monday, July 30th, 2018-Friday, August 3rd, 2018
Percy Julian Middle School
Summer music camp focuses on the large group ensembles of Band, Orchestra, Jazz Band, and Chorus. Students may sign up for one, two or three sessions. Any ensemble with a 1 is appropriate for students entering fifth or sixth grade. Any ensemble with a 2 is appropriate for students entering seventh through ninth grade. Classes run for one week, with a final concert held the last hour of each session on Friday, August 3rd, 2018.
Fees are $75 for one session, $150 for two sessions, or $225 for three sessions. Scholarships are available for District 97 students who receive free or reduced lunch.
- Session 1: 8:30 AM-10:20 AM
- Session 2: 10:30 AM- 12:20 PM
- Lunch: 12:30 PM- 1:00 PM Lunch (students will provide their own lunch)
- Session 3: 1:10 PM -3:00 PM
- Band 1: Open to all band students who have at least 1 year of experience playing a band instrument.
- Band 2: Open to all band students entering grades 7-9 in the 2018-2019 School Year
- Orchestra 1: Open to all orchestra students who have at least 1 year experience playing an orchestra instrument.
- Orchestra 2: Open to all Orchestra students entering grades 7-9 in the 2018-2019 School Year
- Choir 1: Open to all students entering grades 4-6 in the 2018-2019 School Year, no experience required.
- Choir 2: Open to all students entering grades 7-9 in the 2018-2019 School Year, no experience required
- Jazz 1: Open to all Band and Orchestra students entering grades 5-6 in the 2018-2019 School Year. At least one 1 year experience on an instrument is required.
- Jazz 2: Open to all Band and Orchestra students entering grades 7-9.
Steel Band camp: Come experience the sounds of the Caribbean and learn to play in a steel band this summer! This class is designed for kids who are interested in exploring the steel drum, an instrument which comes from the islands of Trinidad and Tobago. Students will learn songs from Calypso to Classical to current pop hits on this versatile instrument. They will play rhythms and melodies from all over the world and no experience is necessary. In this class, kids will develop ensemble skills, music theory/note reading, and most importantly they will will have fun making music together in a fun, joyful, and unique setting.
Ukulele and percussion camp: Have you ever wondered about or wanted to play the ukulele? This is the class for you! Come learn to play one of today's most popular and accessible instruments. Kids will learn to play current pop music, traditional Hawaiian songs, and much more. Students will be amazed at how quickly they can learn to play their favorite songs on the ukulele in just one week of camp. In this class, students will also have fun learning various styles of drumming and rhythms from around the world on percussion instruments. No instrument or experience is necessary.
Jazz Improvisation: Do you want to learn how to play a killer jazz solo? Jazz Improvisation will give you the tools you need to be the star of the band. Open to all band and orchestra students.
Band and Orchestra Chamber Class: Open to all band and orchestra students. Students will have an opportunity to play in small groups and perfect their craft on their instruments.
Orff Ensemble: Experience the world of mallet instruments in orff ensemble. No experience necessary. Students will have an opportunity to play all kinds of music and have a blast!