District 97 is seeking dedicated individuals from the community who are interested in taking an active role in shaping the future of our schools by applying to serve in a voluntary capacity on our Committee for Legislative Action, Intervention and Monitoring (C.L.A.I.M.).
Through C.L.A.I.M., which meets on a monthly basis during the school year, the District 97 Board of Education develops a legislative agenda to propose, support, oppose or monitor legislation impacting board priorities. The committee is charged with:
- Annually receiving direction for a legislative agenda from the board regarding school policy and finance issues at the state level, as well as at the county and/or federal level as the board deems appropriate.
- Strengthening connections and participation with lobbying groups, especially those with whom the district currently has formal relationships (e.g., ED-RED, IASB, etc.).
- Identifying, partnering and leveraging organizations aligned with one or more items of the district’s legislative agenda.
- Generating informational materials to identify the impact of state, county or federal legislative issues on the district.
- Engaging Oak Park’s legislative delegation to keep them informed of the ways current and proposed legislation, policies and practices impact the district.
- Seeking board approval to amend the committee’s scope, procedures, practices and guiding principles.
You can access additional information about C.L.A.I.M. by visiting http://www.op97.org/boe/claim.
The district is currently looking to fill three openings on C.L.A.I.M. If you would like to be considered for membership, or need additional information about the committee, please contact Lou Anne Johannesson by e-mailing [email protected]. The deadline to apply for the positions is Friday, January 5, 2018.