The Illinois State Board of Education is now accepting nominations for the 2018-19 Those Who Excel Awards, which honor people who have made significant contributions to public and nonpublic elementary and secondary education. District 97 is currently seeking nominations for the seven award categories, which include:
- Classroom teacher (licensed) - includes preschool, elementary, junior high/middle or high school teacher who spends more than 50 percent of the time instructing students. Includes reading specialists.
- Educational service personnel (unlicensed) - includes aides, cafeteria workers, custodians, secretaries, bus drivers, crossing guards, etc.
- Early career educator - includes teachers in their second to fifth years of teaching.
- School administrator - includes district superintendents, assistant superintendents, principals, assistant principals, coordinators, directors or others whose responsibilities are more than 50 percent administrative.
- School board member/community volunteer - only one may be nominated per district (i.e., either a school board member or community volunteer)
- Student support personnel (licensed) - includes school nurse, psychologist, social worker, guidance counselor, media/librarian/audio visual or speech/language therapist who spends more than 50 percent of time in the indicated field.
- Team - includes teams of teachers or administrators, civic organizations, parent organizations, school boards, booster clubs, etc.
The district can only submit one entry per category. If there is someone you believe should be considered to represent the district in one of the seven categories, please send a brief blurb (one or two paragraphs) about the individual, why you are nominating him/her, and how he/she embodies the district's vision and supports the aspirational goals we have for our students to [email protected] by Monday, February 26. Please visit http://bit.ly/2DQijV7 for additional information about the awards.