District 97 Seeking Nominations for Those Who Excel Awards
February 2, 2017
The Illinois State Board of Education is now accepting nominations for the 2017-2018 Those Who Excel Awards, which honor people who have made outstanding contributions to public and non-public elementary and secondary education. District 97 is currently seeking nominations for the seven award categories, which include:
- Classroom teacher (licensed) - includes preschool, elementary, junior high/middle or high school teacher who spends more than 50 percent of the time instructing students. Includes reading specialists.
- Educational service personnel (unlicensed) - includes aides, cafeteria workers, custodians, secretaries, bus drivers, crossing guards, etc.
- Early career educator - includes teachers in their second to fifth years of teaching.
- School administrator/principal - includes district superintendents, assistant superintendents, principals, assistant principals, coordinators, directors or others whose responsibilities are more than 50 percent administrative.
- School board member/community volunteer - only one may be nominated per district (i.e., either a board member or community volunteer)
- Student support personnel (licensed) - includes school nurse, psychologist, social worker, guidance counselor, media/librarian/audio visual, or speech/language therapist who spends more than 50 percent of time in the indicated field.
- Team - includes teams of teachers or administrators, civic organizations, parent organizations, school boards, booster clubs, etc.
The district can only submit one entry per category. If there is someone you believe should be considered to represent the district in one of the seven categories, please send a brief blurb (one or two paragraphs) about the individual and why you are nominating him/her to [email protected] by Friday, March 3. Please click here for additional information about the awards*.
*You do not need to fill out the form/application found at this link. It is meant to be a source of information about the awards, and will not need to be completed until after we select the district's representative for each category.