Creating a positive learning environment for all District 97 students that is equitable, inclusive and focused on the whole child.
The Oak Park Elementary District 97 Board of Education is partnering with a national search and consulting firm, Hazard, Young, Attea and Associates (HYA), to hire the next superintendent of schools for D97.
The board is committed to working with all of the district's stakeholders—students, teachers, administration, and community members—to implement a robust search process that is community-engaged; that reflects our values, priorities and needs, including our centering of equity; and that will lead us to an excellent, effective leader for our district.
Oak Park Elementary School District 97
Superintendent of Schools
Applications will be accepted until November 10, 2021.
Oak Park Elementary District 97 is seeking an accomplished, energetic and equity focused leader to be the district’s next superintendent. The district has eight elementary schools and two middle schools, provides a well-rounded education to nearly 5,800 students in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade and employs more than 900 outstanding staff members who have amassed an impressive list of accolades including:
- Sixty-four National Certified Teachers and more than 30 National Board Certified Equivalents (nurses, social workers, physical therapists, speech/language therapists, etc.) with 62 more teachers currently working through the NBCT process
- More than 100 awards from the Illinois State Board of Education in conjunction with its “Those Who Excel” program, which annually honors people who have made significant contributions to the state’s public and nonpublic elementary and secondary schools
- Nearly 20 staff members have either won or been nominated for Golden Apple Awards since 1995
- Earned Gold Circle of Quality in ExceleRate Illinois for our prekindergarten program (PKP)
District 97 is a progressive district that is focused not only on our tradition of excellence but on our future. The district prides itself in offering our students a comprehensive curriculum which includes the fine arts, physical education, and extensive opportunities for every child to succeed. The district is highly inclusive with a continuum of supports for children with academic, physical, social, emotional and behavioral needs.
District 97 highly values equity and diversity. The district’s Equity Policy is the result of two years of collaborative engagement and it affirms the district’s steadfast commitment to racial equity, seeks to promote a strong sense of belonging in all of its schools and is aimed at ensuring that every student has access to an excellent and equitable educational experience. In addition, in 2020 the district published a Commitment to Anti-Racism (https://www.op97.org/teach-learn/antiracism).
The district’s next leader must embrace and truly “walk the talk” of the district’s vision to “Create a positive learning environment for all District 97 students that is equitable, inclusive and focused on the whole child.”
- Full resume
- Cover letter stating why they are seeking the job and why they will be an excellent fit for the district
- Full contact information for three references
- A one page written response to each of the two prompts (one page per prompt):
- Describe your recent and relevant experience in successfully advancing equity initiatives and share specific evidence of the outcomes that resulted.
- Share successful strategies you use to engage stakeholders authentically and effectively, build trust with them and among them, and manage highly engaged individual stakeholders.
Applications are accepted until November 10, 2021. Screening interviews begin as applications are received.
- Leadership Profile Report Summary
- My D97 Weekly Wrap-Up (Superintendent Search Update) - Oct. 15, 2021
- District Superintendent Search Community Forum - Sept. 30, 2021
- 10-Minute Survey - D97 Superintendent Search - Sept. 2, 2021
- D97 Board Selects Firm to Facilitate Superintendent Search - July 28, 2021
- D97 Board Appoints Interim Superintendents for 2021-22 School Year - April 27, 2021
- D97 Board to Hire Interim Superintendent for 2021-22 School Year - April 14, 2021
- District 97 Superintendent Carol Kelley to Resign at End of 2020-21 School Year - February 18, 2021