FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What are the MEDICAL/HEALTH requirements for students entering 6th Grade?
Here is a link to a detailed letter describing the medical/health requirements. In order to make sure your child is compliant with their 6th grade medical requirements, below is a summary of the 2019-20 School Year requirements:
- Current School Physical Exam (signed by a physician or nurse practitioner) and dated within a year from the 2019-20 school year. Parents must complete the health history portion, on the back page top portion, of the physical exam, and sign it.
- Immunization Record with updated immunizations (including TDAP & Meningococcal).
- Current Dental Examination (dated no earlier than November 15, 2018)
- Eye Exam: if your child wears glasses, please provide an Eye Examination Report (within the year).
Religious Waiver: if your child has a religious waiver for immunizations, parents are required to submit, to the school, the IDPH Religious Waiver, signed by a physician/nurse practitioner, with a current physical exam.
Please note, although these are required before October 15, 2019, We strongly encourage you to have these completed and submitted, to the Julian Health Office, by the start of the school year to avoid student exclusion starting October 15,2019. Thank you.
When and where do I turn in medical and dental forms?
Parents/guardians can email medical, dental and vision forms to [email protected]
or mail to Julian Middle school Attn: Health Office. In addition, the forms can be dropped off in the Julian Middle School Main Office during this school year or in August when the office re-opens. Medical forms are requested by the first day of school for all incoming 6th graders.
Sports physicals: are due at the time of the scheduled sports activity (cross country, track, volleyball, basketball, ultimate frisbee). Cross Country practices start mid-August, prior to the first day of school. volleyball and basketball are winter sports. Track season occurs in the spring. A current school physical exam form (Interscholastic Sports box (located at the bottom of the form) must be checked on the student physical) is required prior to trying out for any athletic team at Julian Middle School.
What happens with student lockers and locks?
Students are assigned a locker and combination lock. The locker is located on their team wing. This space is used to store books, coats, backpacks, personal belongings, etc. It is a good idea to have students practice opening a combination lock prior to the first day of school. Master Locks for their main locker must be school issued and will be distributed during the 6th grade “Welcome Night” on Wednesday, August 21, 2019 from 4:00 pm-7:00 pm.
In addition to the locker in their team wing, all Julian students are assigned a gym locker and combination lock for their Physical Education (PE) class. The gym locker and lock are used to secure the student's personal belongings during the time he/she is in PE. The PE lock must be school issued as well.
When can I bring in my school supplies?
Students may bring in their school supplies at the 6th Grade “Welcome Night” on Wednesday, August 21, 2019 from 4:00 pm-7:00 pm. Sixth graders will have the opportunity to take a tour of the school and to receive their locker/lock assignments on that evening. If you don’t bring your supplies that evening, feel free to bring them in over the course of the first week of school.
Are students issued IDs?
Yes, students are issued IDs. Staff members will ask students to show their ID before entering the building every day. These are worn on lanyards that are issued to students at the beginning of the school year. Students will use their ID to charge lunch and check out library books. Students will receive their Julian ID at the “Welcome Night” in August.
What support services are available for students?
Julian has 2 social workers, a full time nurse, a Speech/Language Pathologist, an “English as a Second Language” traveling teacher, and School Psychologist available to our students. We also have an Occupational Therapist, Physical Therapist, and Vision/Hearing Itinerants available on an “as needed” basis.
How do we communicate with parents?
- Information about the school may be sent home either through mail, the student, or e-mail.
- Newsletters and other important information may come from the school, a team, or individual teachers.
- Julian "Middle Matters" Newsletter - Bi-monthly e-mail communications from the Julian principal.
- PTO E-Mail Newsletter - to subscrible go to the Julian PTO website or contact the listserv administrator, visit JulianPTO.org. The Julian PTO sends out a weekly email with updates and school related information every Sunday night.
- Daily Announcements - these are posted each day on Julian's website.
- PowerSchool Parent Portal - parents/guardians will have access to the online grade book for their child. Grades are updated approximately every two weeks dependent on when assignments are due.
- Staff voice and email - all staff regularly check their email and voicemail. E-mail addresses can be found on the staff directory of the Julian website.
Where can I find information about the Julian Middle School dress code, athletic eligibility, bus transportation, student conduct, and other school expectations?
This information is located in the Julian Student Handbook. The handbook is reviewed annually and posted on the Julian website.
What time does school start and end at Julian?
Students start the day at 9:00 am and end at 3:30 pm. Students are on a regular bell schedule Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. They are on an advisory bell schedule Monday and Thursday.
What does the bell schedule look like at Julian?
Bell Schedule 2019 – 2020
Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday Monday, Thursday
9:00 – 9:28 (Advisory)
1st 9:00 – 9:43 9:31 – 10:09
2nd 9:46 – 10:26 10:12 – 10:50
3rd 10:29 – 11:09 10:53 – 11:30
4th 11:12 – 11:52 11:33 – 12:10 (6th Gr. Lunch)
5th 11:55 – 12:35 12:13 – 12:50 (7th Gr. Lunch)
6th 12:38 – 1:18 12:53 – 1:30 (8th Gr. Lunch)
7th 1:21 – 2:01 1:33 – 2:10
8th 2:04 – 2:44 2:13 – 2:50
9th 2:47 – 3:30 2:53 – 3:30
Where do students line up in the morning and what time should they arrive to school?
6th graders meet in the back of the school by/on the turf field each morning. Students should arrive to school in between 8:35-8:45 unless they are coming in early to meet with a teacher or attend an extracurricular activity.
Can students use the school Media Center/Library before and after school?
The media center is open in the morning on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday starting at 8:00 am. We allow 50 students in the media center each morning so it is important to arrive at 8:00 am or earlier in order to secure a spot. The media center is closed on Wednesday mornings because staff meetings regularly occur on this day.
After school hours are 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm on Monday - Thursday. The media center is closed on Friday afternoon.