Use Correct Techniques
- Keep your feet on the floor, or close to it.
- Keep your back straight.
- Keep your wrists straight and off the table.
- Use correct fingering, start on the Home Row.
- Keep your fingers curved.
- Keep your eyes on your work, not your fingers.
Keyboarding is a Life Skill
- When you learn to keyboard, you will learn that each finger has its own job to do and it’s own keys to type.
- Demo: Click to view keyboarding chart
- It’s important to learn to keyboard now because you will need to be able to write and work efficiently on a computer. You need to be able to type without thinking about where your fingers go.
- With short, frequent practice, you will be able to develop muscle memory.
- This means your fingers will know which keys to type and you won't have to think about it.
- Compare to playing musical instrument or sports
- Just like with a musical instrument or a sport, you need to practice a lot.
- Its better to practice for about 10 minutes a day, often, than it is to sit down for a long time and practice every once in a while
- While they are excited, get them to commit to practicing for 10 minutes a day at home, often to develop a habit
- View self-checklist
- Note: Techniques are listed on Custom Typing login page Review them before logging in.