School Board Meetings
Board meetings, which are open to the public, are generally held on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. in the board room of the administration building, which is located at 260 Madison. The board meeting schedule is set at the beginning of each year, and can be accessed on the district website or obtained from the board secretary by calling (708) 524-3004.
The board is permitted by law to meet in closed (executive) sessions to discuss a variety of issues, which include, but are not limited to: personnel matters (appointment, employment, compensation,discipline, performance, or dismissal), student discipline, real estate (i.e., purchase or lease of property) or collective negotiations with employees or their representatives.
Special meetings, workshops, study sessions and community forums, which are also open to the public, may be scheduled throughout the year. These events, as well as time and/or location changes for regularly scheduled meetings, are announced at least 24 hours in advance through a variety of means, including sending notices to the local newspapers, and posting information on the district’s website and in the front lobby of the administration building.
The agenda and packet of materials for each board meeting are usually posted on the district website by close of business the Friday prior to the meeting. Approved board meeting minutes are also posted on the site.
School Board Meeting Order of Business
- Public (Roll Call, Special Reports, and Public Comments)
- Action Items (Minutes, Consent, and General)
- Administrative Topic Reports
- Board Committee / Work Group Reports (Policy, Board Protocols, FAC, FORC, CLAIM, Superintendent Evaluation, Madison Street, Capital Expenditure, Ad Hoc Dashboard, Review of Committee Member Terms, and Intergovernmental Agreements)
- Concluding Items ( Superintendent's Report, Board Concerns/Announcements, Board Response to Public Comment, Preview Agenda of Next Meeting, and Board Timeline)
Addressing the School Board
Public participation is a vital part of our school system's success. Visitors are always welcome at meetings. That is why the District 97 Board of Education provides time for input from community and visitors at its meetings. If you wish to address the board in person during a meeting, please follow this procedure:
- Sign in on the public comment sheet before the start of the meeting. Please indicate on this sheet whether you want a response from the board.
- When called to the table, please state your name and home address.
- Please finish your comments within the three-minute time limit.
- If a response to public comment is requested, the board will usually issue that response during the meeting's concluding items. At that time, the board will determine what type of response is necessary and the form that response will take.