HERE ARE LINKS TO QUIZLETS TO HELP YOU MEMORIZE THE AUTHOR OF EACH BOOK:
Reading Olympics is a literature enrichment program sponsored by School Districts 90 and 97, Oak Park Public Library, and River Forest Public Library, as well as several private schools.
Oak Park residents can check out the competition books through the Oak Park Public Library's electronic bookshelf.
At the beginning of the school year all 5th grade students are invited to participate in the Reading Olympics program. Students read the books on a list and compete with each other answering questions about the books. The students answer with the name of the book and the name of its author.
School teams are formed (three students each) and the schools meet three times a year for competition. The first two competitions cover nine books apiece. The last competition covers the previous 18 books.
The team with the best score at this meet has the name of the school and their names engraved on a plaque that can be found at both public libraries.
Regional Competition Dates
Competitions at each individual participating school determine which team will advance to the regional competition and will be held during the week(s) before the regional competition. Please see your librarian for exact dates.
- Fall: Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 9 a.m. at the Oak Park Public Library
- Spring: Tuesday, March 19, 2018, 9 a.m. at the River Forest Public Library
- Extreme: TBA
Fall 2018 Books
- "Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library" by Chris Graberstein
- "Esperanza Rising" by Pam Muñoz Ryan
- "Fever" by Laurie Halse Anderson
- "Heat" by Mike Lupica
- "Jackie and Me" by Dan Gutman
- "Magic Thief #1" by Sarah Prineas
- "Moo!" by Sharon Creech
- "Project Mulberry" by Linda Sue Park
- "Shakespeare Stealer" by Gary Blackwood
Spring 2018 Books
- "Ghost" by Jason Reynolds
- "Booked" by Kwame Alexander
- "Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin" by Liesl Shurtliff
- "Amina's Voice" by Hena Khan
- "Old Willis Place" by Mary Downing Hahn
- "Gregor the Overlander" by Suzanne Collins
- "Schooled" by Gordon Korman
- "One Crazy Summer" by Rita Garcia-Williams
- "Hunt for the Seventh" by Christine Morton-Shaw