Holmes Expansion Project
Update for the week of May 7
Below are photos of the progress made on the building additions. The overall enclosure will start going up next month.
Update for the week of April 30
Below are the latest updates regarding the expansion project at Holmes.
- All site utility work has been completed.
- Concrete footings, foundations and east side slab on grade have also been completed.
- West side slab on grade to occur this week.
- East side steel has been set and steel detailing will be complete early this week.
- West side steel will follow completion of east side steel decking.
- Following steel erection, masons will begin installing their block walls throughout the project.
Update for the week of February 26
- The mobilization of the site is complete
- All activities related to demolition, tree removal and clearing the site have been finished
- Nicor's work related to the relocation of a gas main is expected to be completed by Friday, March 9
- Work on the foundation for the addition is scheduled to begin on Monday, March 12
- The construction of the steel structure that will support the addition is scheduled to begin following the completion of the work on the foundation
Update for the week of February 12
- A construction trailer is scheduled to be installed at Holmes on Friday, February 16
- Temporary fencing is scheduled to be installed around the construction site on Monday, February 19
- A temporary new path has been created to help pedestrians travel safely around the construction site
Rendering showing the new temporary path
Background information about the expansion project
Construction on the scheduled expansion of Holmes Elementary School will begin the week of January 29, 2018. This project, which is expected to be completed in late August prior to the first day of the 2018-19 school year, will enable the school to accommodate and better meet the needs of a growing student population that currently totals nearly 600 children.
The additions/improvements being made to the building include:
- Construction of six new classrooms as part of a two-story addition
- Expansion of the multipurpose room, which will include updates to the kitchen space
- Renovation of the school library, which will include the installation of new furniture
- Creation of additional small group instructional spaces on the second floor
- Renovation of several larger classrooms that will help improve the availability and equity of space throughout the building
- Renovation of the outdoor garden space
Nicor is tentatively scheduled to be at the building on February 1, 2018, to work on the utilities, while the construction crew will begin its portion of the project on February 19, 2018. The current plan is for the crew to work six days per week from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. However, this may change depending on factors such as the weather. Our faculty and staff is in the process of developing revised procedures and protocols for handling arrival, dismissal and recess for the rest of the school year that will accommodate the construction process, while also ensuring the continued safety of our students. We will share these procedures and protocols with our families as soon as they are available.
We have created a topic on our Let’s Talk Page titled “Holmes Expansion Project” that people can use to share comments, questions or feedback about the project. This topic and page can be accessed at http://www.k12insight.com/Lets-Talk/embed.aspx?k=WR5D6TLT.
(Click images above to view in browser.)