History of Oliver Wendell Holmes School
Named for: Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., Harvard professor, physician, poet, author
First known as North or Chicago Ave. School, and opened in 1889. A new structure was built in the late 1950's.
The original Holmes School
Since time immemorial, Indigenous communities have gathered on Chicago's waterways to work, play, trade, and heal. Our school is on the ancestral homelands of the Council of the Three Fires: The Potawatomi, Ojibwe, and Odawa Nations. The Sac, Fox, Myaamia, Ho-Chunk, Sioux and Menominee have also called this area home. We recognize these Nations as the past, present and future stewards of this land and recognize the importance of doing so for the 65,000 Indigenous peoples thriving here today. Watch here to learn more about why we make this recognition.