Oak Park Elementary School District 97 is currently monitoring the news regarding coronavirus (COVID-19). We have been following recommendations from the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH), which has been receiving guidance from the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). At this time, health officials have indicated that the risk to the general public remains low and they are not recommending canceling any classes or mass gatherings.
The health and safety of our students and staff is our top priority. Please be assured that we are following all recommended protocols of the IDPH, which includes routine cleaning and disinfecting in all of our buildings. We will continue to monitor updates about the coronavirus from local, state and federal agencies, and will keep families informed should recommendations change.
In the meantime, we wanted to share information that was provided to schools by the IDPH (see below). More information about coronavirus can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html.
Thank you for your continued support in keeping our community safe and healthy.
Senior Director of Student Services
Illinois Department of Public Health Recommendations
The best way to prevent infection is to take precautions to avoid exposure to the virus, which are similar to the precautions you would take to avoid the flu. IDPH always recommends everyday actions to help prevent the spread of viruses including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.