In preparation for the 2020-21 school year, District 97 is working with community partners to support the child care needs of our families and staff. We have already engaged in preliminary discussions with some key organizations, including, but not limited to: Hephzibah, Park District of Oak Park, Collaboration for Early Childhood, and the Oak Park Education Foundation.
We will use this page to provide updates, resources and registration information from our local child care providers as they become available. We will share this information with families via email and social media.
Registration for Hephzibah fall programming will open on Friday, July 31, for current Hephzibah families, and on Monday, Aug. 3, for the larger Oak Park community for youth entering kindergarten through sixth grade.
Hephzibah will be providing full day care/e-learning support at Holmes, Irving and Longfellow Schools. At this time, two options for care will be available:
- Academic support and supervision during the school day (7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.)
- Academic support during the school day and social/recreational enrichment after school (7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.).
At this time, Hephzibah will prioritize families who need care Monday through Friday, but may offer options for two or three days per week if space allows.
Children will be assigned to a cohort of 15 children and two staff, with a limit of 75 to 90 children per school building. Hephzibah will make all efforts to create cohorts of children from the same schools and grade levels, subject to registration.
Hephzibah will continue to follow all guidelines from the Illinois Department of Public Health, the Illinois State Board of Education and the Centers for Disease Control. These safety measures include temperature screening twice daily, a COVID-symptoms questionnaire, social distancing, mask-wearing and enhanced disinfection procedures, as well as restrictions on co-mingling of the cohorts and outside visitors entering the building.
Hephzibah is finalizing a daily structure which supports all the children’s remote learning needs and also provides breaks for physical activity, socialization and play in a safe, nurturing environment. Program information—including a fee scale, FAQ and application—can be accessed directly at https://www.hephzibahhome.org/2020-day-care-program. Please email Day Care Program Director Amy O’Rourke if you have any questions.
Park District of Oak Park
The Park District is committed to working with School District 97 to provide quality all-day childcare for parents for the first session of the school year while remote learning is in place.
There will be two school sites where the Park District will provide childcare, one at a school located in north Oak Park and another at a south Oak Park school. These locations are still to be determined. Participants at each childcare location will engage in D97 online learning while in the program. Each student must bring their D97 device and headphones each day along with their lunch. Outdoor activities, games and crafts will be part of the childcare experience also. Scholarships and childcare discounts are available to families that qualify.
Here is what we know currently:
- Those currently registered in the Clubhouse program will have priority registration for the Clubhouse 2.0 program. Priority registration begins at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 1.
- There will be limited capacity and therefore, registration will open to all Oak Park residents, only if there are spaces available, beginning Tuesday, Aug. 4 at 8:30 a.m.
- The Park District will try to group children by age and school.
- There will be two options, either 7:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. or 7:45 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Once priority registration has been completed and Clubhouse 2.0 is opened to all children through 5th grade, if there are still spaces available, the District may open registration to middle school-age children.
- The cost per day for the 7:45 a.m. to 3 p.m. program is $30, or $600 per month. The cost per day for the 7:45 a.m. to 6 p.m. program is $45, or $900 per month. Registrants will pay monthly for this program similar to the original Clubhouse program.
- IMPORTANT: D97 will cover the daily clubhouse program fee, from 7:45 am to 3:00 pm, for any D97 student who receives a free or reduced lunch for at least Trimester 1. D97 will not cover the program cost from 3 pm to 6 pm. The district will determine additional fee coverage once plans are determined for the remainder of the school year. More details are provided at point of online registration.
- The Park District is following federal, state and local recommendations regarding COVID-19. The guidelines for employees and children include:
- Staying home if you feel or are sick.
- Wearing a face covering.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Washing hands upon entry and frequently throughout the day.
- Maintaining 6ft distancing whenever possible.
Contact Joe Lilly at [email protected] or 708-725-2102 for more information, or visit https://www.pdop.org/programs/clubhouse-afterschool-program/.
By Discovery is very pleased to partner with D97 to help students successfully navigate their online school day in person, at Beye and Lincoln elementary schools, throughout Trimester 1 (and beyond, if needed). Students must be enrolled at a D97 school to participate.
To create the safest possible environment for your child and family, your child will be grouped with the same cohort of up to 15 children for the trimester. The exception is if a space becomes available, we will provide a new child the opportunity to join the cohort.
- Those who wish to attend part time (3x per week) may attend on M/W/F (Beye and Lincoln).
- Those who wish to attend part time (2x per week) may attend on T/TH. (Beye--WAITLIST and Lincoln).
- Full-time students (M/T/W/Th/F) will share one classroom (available at Beye only--WAITLIST).
- In-person remote learning at Beye and Lincoln is $50 per day, 7:45 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- In-person art enrichment at Beye and Lincoln from dismissal to 6pm is $25 per day.
- A 10% discount is awarded to families who have more than one child enrolled in the program
We calculate the monthly fee based on the days of the week your child attends and the total of those days per the first trimester, divided by three (September through November).
D97 is providing scholarships in the amount of $30 per day to students who receive free and reduced lunch. By Discovery will also provide an additional scholarship of $20 per day to completely cover the daily program fee (7:45 a.m. to 3 p.m.) for up to six families who receive free/reduced lunch.
Due to the generous contributions of individual donors, other scholarship assistance may be available for those who fall just outside of the requirement for free/reduced lunch. Scholarship recipients who are in need of classroom supplies may contact Program Director Jocelyne Adkins for support from individual donors.
Payment is due on the 1st of the month. If the 1st falls on a weekend or holiday, payment is due on the next business day. Families will receive payment information via email as part of the welcome email the week of August 10.
Accepted Forms of Payment
- Check (bank issued or personal), made out to By Discovery LLC
- PayPal (via https://www.bydiscovery.org/registration-1)
- Zelle (to By Discovery LLC / [email protected])
Families are invoiced on the 24th of each month with payment due on the 1st of the month or the next business day, if the 1st falls on a weekend or holiday. Your first invoice will arrive August 24 and your first payment is due on September 1. A $25 late fee will be invoiced for each month a payment is submitted past the due date.
Enrollment is open throughout the trimester, based upon availability. Families may be placed on a wait list. Fees are pro-rated for those who enroll during the trimester, based on participation days and availability.
To register your child, please complete the form below. A $50 non-refundable registration fee is required to secure your child's space. Your registration fee will be applied to your first monthly payment. Please visit https://www.bydiscovery.org/registration-1 within 24 hours of your registration. Registration fees not received within this time frame will render your registration void, re-opening the space for other registrants. Registrations are first come, first served, and space is limited to 15 students per classroom.
By Discovery is facilitated by Jocelyne Adkins, Program Director/Founder, and Stacey Grieff, MSEd, Early Childhood Education, Erikson Institute, Chicago. Each class of 8+ students is also supported by a dedicated teaching assistant. Extended Day Art Curriculum is developed Jocelyne Adkins, MAAE, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Stacey Grieff, MSEd Erikson Institute and Kim Becker, MFA, Yale University.
Your child's safety is our top priority. By Discovery will follow all guidelines established by D97, ISBE, IDPH and the CDC. Children and staff will maintain a distance of 6 feet, wear face coverings, wash hands frequently and stay home if unwell to protect the health of others. Students who are unable to meet these guidelines, despite support from our staff to do so, will be removed from the program without refund.
Thank you for your interest in By Discovery! We are passionate about supporting families and helping children to achieve and succeed! To learn more, please visit: bydiscovery.org.
For questions about By Discovery, please contact Program Director: [email protected]
Magical Minds Studio
Magical Minds Studio will be offering CoLab Schooling for remote learning students. We will be providing care at our main location, 110 Madison St., and Hatch Elementary School. We have both full-time and part-time options available.
- In-person remote learning at Magical Minds Studio is $75 per day, 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- In-person, art-based after-school program (includes ceramics) at Magical Minds Studio from 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. is $30 daily.
- In-person remote learning at Hatch: $975 full-time, $50 per day (part-time, twice daily or more)
- Ceramic classes, Friday 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- The monthly fee is based on the days of the week your child attends.
D97 is providing financial assistance in the amount of $30 per day to students who receive free and reduced lunch. Thanks to generous community members, Magical Minds Studio will provide additional scholarship funding based on need.
Payment is due on the 1st of the month or each Monday if paying weekly.
Magical Minds Studio will follow all guidelines established by D97, ISBE, IDPH and the CDC. Children and staff will have temperatures checked twice a day, maintain a distance of 6 feet, wear face coverings, wash hands frequently and stay home if unwell to protect the health of others.
For additional detail about our program, contact Haj Herbert, [email protected].