Welcome to the 2020-21 school year in District 97! As we begin this year in a remote setting, we also understand how important it is for our students to still have access to well-balanced meals. Please carefully review the information below for important updates to our meal distribution process for Trimester 1.
MEAL SERVICE FOR TRIMESTER 1
On Aug. 31, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced that it will extend key waivers that allow school districts to continue serving free meals to all children into the fall months. This will ensure that all District 97 students have access to nutritious food at no cost—regardless of where they are learning or whether they qualify for free or reduced lunch.
Beginning Sept. 8, meals will be provided free of cost to any District 97 student in need. Meal distributions will be held every Tuesday (see details below). Each bag of food will contain five breakfasts and five lunches.
MEAL DISTRIBUTION DATES/LOCATIONS
Dates: Meal distribution days will be held every Tuesday through at least Nov. 30, 2020.
- September 8, 15, 22, 29
- Oct. 6, 13, 20, 27
- Nov. 2*, 10, 17, 24 (*Nov. 3—Election Day—is a holiday, so meals will be distributed Monday, Nov. 2)
Locations: Longfellow Elementary School (for Julian and feeder schools), 715 S. Highland Ave., and Brooks Middle School (for Brooks and feeder schools), 325 S. Kenilworth Ave.
BREAKFAST/LUNCH MENUS: SEPTEMBER 2020
District 97 will utilize a two-week cycle menu for its breakfast and lunch programs through Trimester 1. Please click the button to access the breakfast and lunch menus for September 2020. Each Tuesday, students will receive the meals outlined for that day and the following four school days.
FREE/REDUCED LUNCH APPLICATION
Although we will be providing free meals to all students regardless of their lunch status, we still encourage all families who currently qualify to take a few minutes to complete the National School Lunch application as soon as possible. A paper application will also be provided with student materials on schools' designated pick-up days.
There are four options for completing and submitting your application:
- Fill in the PDF application electronically and save it as a document on your computer. Email it as an attachment to the district's food service coordinator, Carla Ellis, at [email protected].
- Print the PDF and fill it out by hand. Take a picture of the completed application and email it as an attachment to [email protected]
- Print the PDF and fill it out by hand. Send the completed application via regular mail to:
Oak Park School District 97
260 Madison St.
Oak Park, IL 60302
- Print the PDF and fill it out by hand. Fax the completed application to 708-524-3019.
If you have any questions, please reach out to the district's food service coordinator, Carla Ellis, at [email protected].