This update important updates regarding the COVID-19 vaccination clinics being hosted by the Oak Park Department of Public Health at our elementary schools this week, including:
- Available appointments; and
- Instructions for canceling your child’s appointment (if no longer needed).
First, we want to say that we are thrilled that so many District 97 students have already received their first vaccine dose, or will be doing so at their school clinics this week. According to the local health department, more than 2,500 students are scheduled to participate in clinics by the end of the week, which is wonderful news for our schools and the overall health of our community.
Vaccine Appointments Still Available
There are still approximately 200 vaccine appointments available between the clinics at Irving (Wednesday, Nov. 10) and Whittier (Friday, Nov. 12), and additional spots may become available at all schools if families cancel this week (see below). Those who were unable to register at their home schools may now register at any clinic with available appointments. Families may check for available appointments throughout the week.
COVID-19 vaccines for children and adults are also widely available at most national pharmacies like CVS, Walgreens and Jewel-Osco, and through many healthcare providers. Vaccines can be found by visiting www.vaccines.gov, texting your ZIP code to 438829, or calling 1-800-232-0233. For more information about COVID-19 vaccination opportunities in Oak Park, visit www.oak-park.us/vaccine. Oak Park residents who need assistance getting a vaccine can email the Health Department at [email protected] or call 708-358-5499.
Canceling Appointments If No Longer Needed
We have heard that some families were able to get their children vaccinated over the weekend or have appointments scheduled elsewhere. This is important for the health department to know, because it could potentially free up appointments for others who are still interested.
HERE’S WHERE WE NEED YOUR HELP: If you scheduled an appointment at a District 97 clinic and 1) you have already gotten your child vaccinated or 2) you have an appointment scheduled somewhere else, we are asking that you cancel your school appointment so the health department can schedule another child in your place. It is critical that you only keep your appointment if you are actually planning to attend the clinic.
How to Cancel Your Child’s COVID-19 Vaccine Appointment
- Check the email you used to register for the appointment confirmation message. The email should have been sent from [email protected]
- Click the URL in the email to view the order. The message states, “If you are unable to make your appointments, cancel this appointment as soon as possible. You can cancel or view details of this appointment at [appointment URL].” There is also a link at the bottom of the message that says, “View order details.”
- After the appointment information loads, scroll to the “Change or cancel your order” section located at the bottom of the page.
- Click the red “Cancel Order” button. Follow the steps and confirm that you have canceled your order.