Update Center: COVID-19 and School Closures
Updated April 2, 2020
D97 Remote Learning Family Guidance
Dear District 97 Community,
We are nearing the end of our second full week of remote learning, and I continue to be inspired by the creativity, flexibility and resilience of our students and staff as they adapt to this new schooling experience. I am also deeply grateful to our families for their efforts to support learning at home.
As we previously shared, a team of district administrators and leaders from the Oak Park Teachers’ Association collaborated to develop a Remote Learning Plan that reflects the values of our community. We understand that we are uniquely situated to continue to provide high-quality educational experiences for students, and our commitment is to do just that.
That said, we also recognize that each family situation is unique and we are cognizant of the challenges created by this unprecedented moment in history. We cannot emphasize enough that we are focused on prioritizing the health and well-being of our students, families and staff. While there may be moments of frustration, please know that we have crafted this plan with families in mind.
Please click here to view our Remote Learning Family Guidance, which we developed to help families gain a better understanding of remote learning and the supports that are available. We anticipate that this document will be updated as we continue to refine and improve our practices in the weeks ahead.
As our school closure continues, we will continue to provide regular updates and provide opportunities for families to connect with the district and share feedback. Information about our next meal distribution is included below. We are also working to finalize dates for our Remote Planning Days for staff, and will share those details as soon as possible.
Finally, I wanted to share just a few examples of the incredible ways that our staff and families are supporting one another during this challenging time:
- Mann teachers organized a parade through their school neighborhood Wednesday so they could see students (while still practicing social distancing)!
- Teachers and families are sharing encouraging messages with one another using sidewalk art (Irving) and signs (Longfellow).
- The District 97 Technology Department is working with school staff to connect with families who may not have access to a device or the Internet at home. They are arranging a pick-up day for iPads and/or wireless hotspots, which will help us ensure that all students have equitable access to remote learning opportunties.
Thank you again for your ongoing patience and support.
Dr. Carol Kelley
Our next meal distribution, which is open to any District 97 student who is in need of food, will be Monday, April 6, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Longfellow Elementary School (for Julian and feeder schools), and Brooks Middle School (for Brooks and feeder schools).
This distribution will include meals for five days, and will include some perishable items, such as frozen chicken patties and hamburgers. If you have any questions, please contact our food service coordinator, Carla Ellis, at [email protected].
Virtual Support with Audio/Video Conferencing
Please review the following documents regarding audio/visual conferencing during remote learning:
- D97 Remote Learning Family Guidance (April 2, 2020)
- Illinois School Closures Extended Through April 30 (March 31, 2020)
- Update: Week 2 of Remote Learning in District 97 (March 29, 2020)
- District 97 Playgrounds Closed: Here's a List of Fun Stay-at-Home Activities for Families (March 24, 2020)
- Reminder: District 97 Meal Pick-Up on Friday, March 20 (March 19, 2020)
- Update: Shelter in Place in Oak Park and Continuation of Remote Learning in D97 (March 18, 2020)
- District 97 Remote Learning Plan for March 16-20 (March 15, 2020)
- Meal Pick-Up for D97 Students Who Receive Free/Reduced Lunch - March 16 (March 14, 2020)
- Update Regarding Remote Learning Plan and Gov. Pritzker's Announcement (March 13, 2020)
- Information about Free and Reduced Lunch Pick-Up - March 13 (March 13, 2020)
- Coronavirus Update: D97 Schools Closed Friday, March 13 (March 12, 2020)
- Coronavirus Update - March 12 (March 12, 2020)
- Coronavirus Update - March 6 (March 6, 2020)
Update about Coronavirus (Feb. 26, 2020)
If you have a question or a concern about the coronavirus (COVID-19) or the mandated school closure in District 97, we encourage you to ask through Let's Talk.