Employment Opportunities in District 97
Substitute Teachers and Substitute Teaching Assistants
During its meeting on Oct. 23, 2018, the District 97 Board of Education unanimously approved an increase in the daily rate of pay for people who hold credentials to substitute teach in the state of Illinois. The new rate of $110 will apply to people with the appropriate credentials who work as substitute teachers or substitute teaching assistants in our schools. Meanwhile, anyone who only possesses substitute teaching assistant credentials (i.e., an Illinois paraprofessional license) will continue to receive the rate of pay that the board approved in January 2018 ($45 for a half day or $90 for a full day).
Below is additional information about the requirements for these positions.
Substitute Teacher Requirements:
- A valid Illinois teaching license or substitute teaching license is the first requirement to becoming a substitute teacher. Anyone with a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education can apply for and obtain a substitute teaching license.
Substitute Teaching Assistant Requirements:
- A valid Illinois paraprofessional license. In order to obtain a paraprofessional license, applicants must be at least 20 years of age, and have one of the following:
- Associate's degree or higher
- 60 semester hours of coursework
- High school diploma or GED and a score of 460 or higher on the ETS Parapro
- High school diploma or GED and the following scores on the ACT Workkeys:
- Applied Math - 4
- Workplace Documents - 4
Interested in being a substitute teacher or subsitute teaching assistant?
- Apply online at: www.op97.org/hr/online-application.
- If you are selected for an interview, you will receive an email via Applicant Tracking.
- Please complete the pre-employment paperwork and bring all documents to your interview.
- If you receive an offer, you must submit a health certification form and participate in a fingerprint-based background check at the district office.
- All new substitutes will attend a training provided by the district.
- Start subbing!
Under the direct supervision of the senior director of buildings and grounds and the building engineer at the school level, substitute custodians perform general cleaning and maintenance in school buildings; maintain equipment in functional condition; and provide cleaning and custodial assistance to students, teachers, visitors and others as necessary.
Substitute Custodian Requirements:
- Any combination of education and experience provided there is possession of the skills and knowledge required to effectively execute the responsibilities of the position.
- High school diploma or completion of sufficient education to successfully perform the duties of the position.
- Previous experience in building maintenance desirable.
Interested in being a substitute custodian? Apply on line at: www.op97.org/hr/online-application.