Due to the circumstances surrounding COVID-19 (coronavirus), District 97 has moved all Kindergarten Student Registration online. Students who are registering for kindergarten for the 2020-21 school year must be at least 5 years old and must be born by or before Sept. 1, 2015.
Families registering a kindergarten student in District 97 must make an appointment to speak with the district registrar by phone to begin the registration process. Appointments can be made by calling 708-524-3000. The registrar will explain the online process and send out a specific link for each student. Parents will be required to upload the documents listed below during the registration process. Parents are highly encouraged to gather all documentation prior to making an appointment. During the school year, it generally takes two business days for registration to be approved and students to be placed in classes as long as parents have uploaded all of their required documents.
Please note that there is a different process during our annual registration drive in the spring and summer when the district re-registers thousands of students. That information will be shared here ahead of the annual registration drive.
Please note, all residency documents uploaded MUST have the residents' Oak Park address.
NOTE: Board Policy 7:50 (School Admissions and Student Transfers To and From Non-District Schools) is currently under review. Please click here for a statement from the Board of Education on this policy.
Required Documents New Registration
- Original birth certificate (hospital birth certificates not accepted)
- A current, unexpired, government-issued photo ID (Driver’s license, State ID, Passport, Permanent Resident Card, U.S. Military ID, Consular ID, etc) from the parent/guardian registering their child
- Custody documents (if applicable)
- Main proof of residency and three supporting documents
- For a complete list of required residency documents, please visit https://www.op97.org/hr/residency-requirements
- Most recent Illinois Department of Human Services (DHS) health physical exam and immunizations
- These documents must be dated within the year of the first day of school (Aug. 24, 2020) for students entering kindergarten, sixth grade or an Illinois school for the first time. You will have until the first day of school to produce these documents. For more information, please review our Health Requirements for New Students.
- If you are enrolling a student who is not your biological child, please download the form below and include it with your required residency documents.
- If you are homeless, please contact the registrar directly at [email protected]
Assessments for Incoming Kindergarteners
All incoming kindergarteners are required to complete the Kindergarten Readiness Test (KRT) and the Ages and Stages Social-Emotional Questionnaire (ASQ) as part of the registration process. These screenings help provide the district with a more complete picture of the child so that we are able to meet their academic, social and emotional needs during the school year. For more information, please visit https://www.op97.org/student-and-administrative-services/incoming-kindergarten-information.
Early Admission to Kindergarten
According to the Illinois School Code, "Early entrance to kindergarten means the admission of a student to kindergarten who will not yet be 5 years old by September 1 of that school year." For more information about the requirements and process for early admission to kindergarten, please visit https://www.op97.org/hr/early-kindergarten-and-first-grade-admission.