August 23, 2019
We have spent a lot of time planning for this year’s lunch and lunch recess. All students can remain at Irving for the lunch hour (11:30-12:25), which includes time for students to eat and play. Students can bring a lunch from home or select from one of the lunch options (hot lunch, sandwich, salad, or pizza kit). In case a family would like to ever pick their child up for a special lunch, below you will find the eating schedule for each grade level.
- K/1: 11:30-11:50
- 2/3: 11:50-12:08
- 4/5: 12:08-12:25
NEW THIS YEAR: Ms. Planek’s 1st grade students and all 2nd-5th grade students will drop off their lunch from home in their lunch bins as they enter the school, instead of taking their lunches to their classroom and putting them in the bin there. We made this change to avoid carrying the heavy lunch bins full down the stairs. We are sharing this information so students can carry their lunch bag separate from their backpack.
Ms. Planek’s students: if you pack a snack, make sure it is not in your lunch bag!
FLES WELCOME BACK
We are very fortunate to have a great Foreign Language Team at Irving. Here is a welcome back letter from our team for families. FLES Welcome Back Letter.
School safety is a very important to our entire Irving staff and community. We maintain safety by putting systems and procedures in place, such as safety drills, reporting absences, visitor procedures, and signing students in and out of the building.
- Safety drills
- Throughout the school year we hold fire, severe weather, soft lockdown, and hard lockdown drills.
- Reporting absences
- If your child is going to be absent, please contact the school via the office number ((708) 524-3090) to report the absence.
- Visitor procedures
- We enjoy having parents/guardians and community members volunteer throughout the school. When visiting the school please sign in with the main office and get a visitor pass. Before leaving, please sign out.
- Taking students out of school during the school day
- If you need to take your child out of school for a brief time period for an appointment or for an early dismissal, please try to call the office ahead of time so we can have your child ready in the office with their items. Upon arrival in the office, you will sign out your child.
We are very lucky to have a wonderful staff at Irving. Here is a list of all of our homeroom staff members and their line up location. Please refer to the district website for a complete list of all our Irving staff members.
Kindergarten team: (North East Cuyler Entrance, 7E)
Amy Chinn (enters by the main office door), Joel Blecha, Jorie Grogan, Kiera Moody, and Mohogany Williams
1st grade team: (South East Cuyler Entrance, 2E)
Torrii Gibson, Elena Kekatos, Molly Sakamoto, Anne Planek, and Jenna Solomon
2nd grade team: (4W, on Ridgeland side of the building)
Tamara Koransky, Lori Pelling, Emile Williams, and Lisa Williams
3rd grade team: (6W, on Ridgeland side of the building)
Shehara Brinson, Lauren Kaunelis, Nick Sakellaris, Julia Stenger
4th grade team: (5W, on Ridgeland side of the building)
Savannah Heidloff, Mary Kelly, Kara Sakellaris, and Erin Woodson
5th grade team: (5W, on Ridgeland side of the building)
Linda Balicki, Seth Baker, Jen Browning, and Sue Tresselt
Kindergarten Multi-needs: (South East Cuyler Entrance with Grogan’s class)
1st/2nd Multi-Needs: (Line up with their general education classroom)
3rd/4th/5th Multi-Needs: (Line up with their general education classroom)
Families should have received email notification regarding their child’s homeroom teacher on Friday, August 23rd, in the afternoon.
SUPPLY DROP OFF
The following grade levels will be holding supply drop off prior to the start of the school year.
- Kindergarten: Monday, August 26th from 4:30-5:30pm
- 1st Grade:* Monday, August 26th from 3:30-4:30pm
- Marta Mohammad: Monday, August 26th from 4:00-5:00pm
*Ms. Gibson will be unable to attend this drop-off but will have bins set outside of her classroom for any students who would like to drop off their supplies early.
Nurse Jamie will also be available August 26th & August 27th from 3:30 p.m. -6:00 p.m. to drop of health forms, medication, and emergency action plans.
DISTRICT AND COMMUNITY INFORMATION
FUN OPPORTUNITY IN THE COMMUNITY
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES
- August 28th First Day of School
- September 4th New Family Welcome Dinner
- September 5th PTO Meeting
- September 12-13 Fall School Pictures (and Sibling)
- September 11th Grades K-5 Open House/Curriculum Night
Below are links that feature important school and district-related information and resources.