- SNACK LIST: We have many serious allergies in kindergarten this year. As such, it is important that you only send your child with snacks on the approved snack list. Thank you for helping keep everyone safe and healthy. Please read Nurse Kimmy's note about snacks linked here. Please make sure your child can open and close their own snack. Snack time is about 5 minutes and is roughly an hour and a half before lunch. Snacks should be small enough to be finished quickly.
The only snacks allowed are fresh fruits and vegetables (but no beans, lentils, or peas).
- BIRTHDAYS: We celebrate class birthdays by setting asside time for families to come in, read a special book, color together with a coloring sheet of the birthday kid's choosing, and listen to music. If your child has a summer birthday we will celebrate in May & June as we get closer to summer.
- VOLUNTEERS: A background check is required for individuals who want to serve as a chaperone on a field trip or volunteer within the school. To obtain a one-time background check, please visit our online sign-up page. To your appointment please bring your driver’s license or State ID to your appointment. Results take about 7-10 business days (sometimes longer), so please plan accordingly. If you have any questions, please email Ellen McKay or call the district office (708-524-3000). Schools are only notified if a person has or has not been approved to serve as a volunteer, full results of a check are only shared with the individual who was fingerprinted.
- BOOK ORDERS: Interested in ordering books? You can order books online at clubs.scholastic.com using our class code PN8CR. Scholastic has lots of great books under $5. Click here to see books that are great for kindergarteners.You can place your order at any time and I will submit it at the end of each month. Shipping is free and kids get super excited when the book box arrives. Also, when you order books we get free books for our classroom!
- CHEERS FOR PEERS: At Longfellow, we would like to recognize children and adults who make a difference. If you would like to nominate an individual who makes a difference at our school, please fill out this form. The individual you nominate will receive a printed form with a description of their contribution to making Longfellow a great place to be.
- GRADE LIAISONS: There are quite a few ways to stay informed at Longfellow (the WHAL, teacher, school and PTO Websites, Facebook, Twitter), and now there are also grade liasions! The Grade Liaison is there to help you with any questions you may have. If they don't have the answer, they will reach out to teachers or the PTO. Each grade also has a facebook page where you can get answers to your questions from other parents. The kindergarten liasion is Maureen Chen.