Illinois Assessment of Readiness (IAR)
The Illinois Assessment of Readiness (IAR) assesses progress of students in grades 3-8 in meeting the Illinois Learning Standards in English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics.
2022 Testing Window
The 2022 assessment window for Oak Park Elementary School District 97 will be April 5-14 (following spring break).
Students will complete testing units over the course of several days; they will not test every day of the district-wide assessment window. Schedules will be communicated by school principals in March.
Accommodations for Students with 504 Plans or Individualized Education Plans (IEPs)
Students with significant cognitive disabilities will be administered the Dynamic Learning Maps - Alternative Assessment (DLM-AA). A student’s IEP will indicate if a student is taking the DLM.
A number of accommodations exist for taking the IAR. The student’s case manager and the District 97 Student Services Department will determine the appropriate accommodations, which are documented in the student’s IEP. We should also note that the Dynamic Learning Maps (DLM) is an alternate assessment system for students with significant cognitive disabilities. It shows what the students know in ways that traditional tests cannot.
Tips to Support Students at Home
- Read a combination of fiction and non-fiction aloud or with your child. Look for subjects of interest—from sports heroes to dinosaurs.
- Discuss and “do” real-life math with your child. Help them know basic math facts.
- Discuss the tests with your child. Reassure your child and encourage him/her to do their best.
- Explain to your child that the tests will initially be more challenging. Tell your child to do his/her best on the test and that you are there to help every step of the way.
- After the test, review the results with your child. Bring the teacher into the discussion as needed.
- Provide a quiet, comfortable place for studying at home and make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep and a nutritious breakfast before the tests.
- Above all, be positive and encouraging about the tests.
IAR Parent Portal
Access individual student results and resources to support everything you need to know about your child's performance on the IAR.
About IAR Parent Portal (Family Letter, 11/19/2021)
- Impact of Participation in State Assessments - IAR (ISBE)
- FAQ: 95% Participation in State Assessments (ISBE)
- IAR Practice Tests