6th Grade or New Student Entering Information for 2023-2024
Incoming 6th Grade Transition Bulletins shared with families:
- Incoming 6th Grade Transition Bulletin #1 (April 4, 2023): District 97 Vision, International Baccalaureate and School Culture, Academic Schedule/Teaming
- Incoming 6th Grade Transition Bulletin #2 (April 11, 2023): Academic Schedule and Team Assignment
- Incoming 6th Grade Transition Bulletin #3 (April 18, 2023): Extra-curricular Activities
- Incoming 6th Grade Transition Bulletin #4 (April 25, 2023): Homework, PowerSchool and Canvas
- Incoming 6th Grade Transition Bulletin #5 (May 2, 2023): FAQ (Medical, Lockers, IDs, Communication, etc)
- Incoming 6th Grade Transition Bulletin #6 (May 9, 2023): Important Registration Information
Welcome To Brooks Events
- May 23, 2023 from 6:30-7:30pm- Parent and Guardian Zoom Orientation (Zoom link will be emailed out in May)
- May 25, 2023 from 5:00-7:00pm- In-Person Building Tours of Brooks
- May 26, 2023 from 8:00-8:50am- Coffee with Capuder (in person at Brooks)
Wednesday, May 31 and June 1- School-Specific Meet the Principals Event (hosted at each elementary school)
Elective Showcase Presentations (2023)
Information regarding elective selection for our incoming 6th grade students will be shared in via emai the first week of April. Please see the links below to access the Showcase presentation and Elective Course Descriptions.
Incoming 6th Grade/New Student Summer Information
- Math placement letters will be sent home in May/June 2023
- Student Schedules will be mailed one week prior to the start of school which is Wednesday, August 23, 2023
- Wellness Physical and Sports Physical must be turned in by first day of school
- Dental exam form Illinois law requires all students in kindergarten, second, sixth, and ninth grade or any new student new to Illinois schools, to have a complete dental examination by May 15th of that school year.
- 2021-2022 6th Grade Supply List (SY24 information to be updated soon)
- New Families after you register, you need to contact Brooks Office to make 6th grade course selections.
New School Year August Welcome Events
Our student and family Welcome Event will be held over two evenings. During these opportunities, your student will receive the following information Bus Route (if applicable), Student Locker/Lock assignment, opportunity for your student to walk their schedule and place school supplies in their locker, pick up student ID, meet PTO and learn about extra-curriculuar opportunities. Incoming 6th grade and New students will get a Brooks T-Shirt from PTO and will pick up a Chromebook and return IPad (if returning student).
Students can come alone or with their family. You should plan to spend 30-60 minutes, if your student plans to walk their schedule.
6th Grade and New Families Welcome Event: Wednesday, August 16th from 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM
- Brooks TShirt will be given to all incoming 6th graders and new students (Stop by the PTO table)
- IPads from 5th grade will be collected and Chromebooks will be distributed to 6th graders and new students.
7th & 8th Grade Welcome Event: Thursday, August 17th from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
**It is preferred that you attend on the designated night for your student as we are distributing lockers and locks as well as IDs, but if you are unable to attend during the assigned day, we will accommodate. Please email Ms. Angelica Love ([email protected]) for more information.
What's the difference between Canvas and Powerschool? View this presentation to find out.