PBIS At Longfellow School
PBIS stands for Positive Behavior Intervention and Support.
PBIS is a comprehensive, 3-tiered approach to implementing positive and consistent student discipline systems. Unlike other approaches to student discipline, PBIS encourages a positive climate school-wide, in all locations and for all students, by focusing systematically on:
1) Defining expectations across the school
- Longfellow's matrix of expectations
- Second Step STEPS to solving a problem
- Second Step Calm down strategies
- Voice Levels
2) Explicitly teaching expectations
3) Reinforcing positive behavior
- Bear Necessities
- Weekly raffles
- The Bear's Den
- School-wide Celebrations
4) Correcting behavioral errors
- Reflection sheets
- Check In/Check Out
PBIS also recognizes that student discipline systems, including the definitions of and responses to problem behavior, need to be consistent across classroom and non-classroom settings.
We are proud to announce that Longfellow School is a "Silver Level Recipient" for PBIS implementation! This means that the program is being implemented with 80% fidelity in one tier as measured by an annual survey.